Re: "Hung" Select bug in 7.0.X

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 16 Nov 94 08:39:49 +1000

In article <Cz9LK1.JuI_at_world.std.com>, lparsons_at_world.std.com (Lee E Parsons) writes:
> Early last week we started experiencing the following problem under
> 7.0.16 and 7.0.15
>
> After a short period of usage, selects against a group of user
> views seem to hang. In reality their process is CPU bound and
> recursive calls for the session goes though the roof. A trace of
> that session shows that they are in an endless loop executing the
> following statement:
>
> 'select text from view$ where obj# = :1'
>
> Killing the process and an instance restart seem to help as does
> dropping and recreating the views, but 15 minutes to 1 hour later
> the system is hosed again.
>
> Oracle reported a bug in 7.0.13 that matches this description
> (BUG 175425) but hasn't offered a solution. It is currently at
> priority 1 and they are working on it.
>
> We are copying the application to 7.1.3 in hopes that the bug doesn't
> exist in that version but that process is not complete.
>
> Has anyone seen something that looks like this? If so how did you
> get around it? Comments?

Haven't encountered this problem but I'm willing to offer some comments.

The fact that it works for a while and then fails could mean that you have a memory leak in 7.0 (I call these 'internal' problems) OR that one VIEW that eventually gets invoked has a problem.

If it's an 'internal' problem then try increasing your INIT.ORA parameters for database buffers, other shared areas and max open cursors.

It may be a specific VIEW that's causing the problem. If you can identify which one then you could try recreating it. We had problems a while ago with VIEWS of VIEWS of VIEWS (but not your problem) so check if its something like that causing your problem.

Let us know what you find.

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras