Re: Can't connect as SYSTEM user

From: YVONNE BAUMERT, DECUS EUROPE AD-SIG CHAIR <y_baumert_at_decus.ch>
Date: 15 Nov 94 19:10:26 GMT

I just read the following in the comp.database.oracle newsgroup:

>In article <39avbd$foo$1_at_mhadg.production.compuserve.com>, Steve Edelstein
><74160.645_at_CompuServe.COM> writes:
> What's the password? If you supply that you should connect. By
> default it's MANAGER. Without it you won't connct.
>
> --
> Steve Edelstein VOICE: 212-956-3670
> Relational Business Systems CompuServe: 74160,645
> 124 West 60th Street Suite 47C Author of
> New York, NY 10023 "Learning Oracle Forms"

I haven't read the original question but I suppose that wether the original person asking is not supposed to have system rights within this database or the person with system rights isn't reachable anymore. Maybe he left???

Unfortunately I don't know on which platform the system is based. Therefore I will describe some possibilities supposing we have the last case.

In general you can change the system password if you can CONNECT INTERNAL. And that without knowing it! That's why you should do one of the following steps which will allow you to do so.

VAX/VMS

You have the option to contact your system administrator and ask him to add the process right identifier ORA_DB if you will be responsible for all instances or ORA_<SID>_DB if you shall only be responsible for a specific database rec. its instance.

HP/UX

Conntact your system manager and ask him to add you to the dba group. for more details see the installation guide under the keyword dba group (in the index). I suppose that you will find it under the same keyword for other UNIX dialects.

Netware

Again contact your system manager and ask him to add you to the ORACLE_DBA group. Details about this NetWare group are given under the keyword ORACLE_DBA again in the operating specific installation guide.

Other platforms

Take the installation guide look up connect internal in the index and you might eventually find a hint about how to get the privilege via your system administration.

After getting the appropriate right depending on your operating system you can connect internal and then change the system password by ALTER USER SYSTEM IDENTIFIED BY new_password;

;-)

Yvonne Baumert       LL     TTTTTTTTTT  UU    UU   The statements made
LTU GmbH             LL     TT  TT  TT  UU    UU   represent my own opinion
Airport, Hangar 8    LL         TT      UU    UU   and do not necessarily
D-40474 Düsseldorf   LL         TT      UU    UU   correspond with my
Germany              LL         TT      UU    UU   employers opinion.
y_baumert_at_decus.ch   LLLLLL    TTTT      UUUUUU

PSI%(0262)45211013068::baumert Some countries don't need the leading 0!!