Re: One Big Extent vs Multiple Extents

From: Amit Srivastava <amit_at_point.cs.uwm.edu>
Date: 15 Nov 1994 00:25:31 GMT

In article <brosalesCz9unG.Er8_at_netcom.com> brosales_at_netcom.com (Bob Rosales) writes:
>We have always tried to compute the first extent of
>our tables to fit all data, if possible.
>
>But now with striping, is there advantage to do
>so at all? I have heard that actually multiple
>extents are better? Can some one suggest any
>paper or your thoughts on this issues?

        I believe multiple extents on Oracle 6 is like linked lists of blocks. So the more extents you have the more links you have to follow,when you do a search. I have often tried to reduce multiple extents, if it has etended too far, so that as much as possible I have one single extent. Again, if you data is such that is going to be chaning a lot in the table/index and you do a lot of deletions of records on those tables. Then the table/index tends get to more and more fragmented w/ multiple extents.

--
              _/_