Re: How to grant create owner table?

From: Scott Mattes <Mattes_at_navsealog.i-net.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 1994 15:30:56 GMT

In article <1994Nov10.223605.1_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>,

 writes:

> >> Anyone know how to grant to user A the ability to create and drop tables
> >> owned by user B?
> >
> > Another RTFM type answers...
> >
> > Oracle7(tm) Server Administrator's Guide, p.8-23,
> >
> > "... To create a table in another user's schema, you must have the
> > CREATE ANY TABLE system privilege. Additionally, the owner of the
> > table must have a quota for the tablespace that contains the table,
> > or the UNLIMITED TABLESPACE system privilege."
> >
> > Oracle7(tm) Server Administrator's Guide, p.8-25,
> >
> > "... To drop a table, the table must be contained in your schema or
> > you must have the DROP ANY TABLE system privilege to drop the table."
> >
> > --
> > "And this is all I have to say about that..."
> >

> Sorry, I don't think that this is an RTFM type of question. Yes, the manual
> clearly indicates what ORACLE will let you do, but it is not what I want.
>
> Granting CREATE ANY TABLE is a pretty scary privilege to give to somebody.
>
> I would have reworded the original question to say: Can I give User A the
> ability to create or drop tables owned by User B, but not those owned by User
>
> This would be very, very nice. Anyone have a solution?

Yes. On my VM system I wanted to give general users access to some privileged commands so I wrote a Disconnected Service Virtual Machine (DSVM). It just sits around waiting for requests and when it gets one it varifies that the requesting user is allowed to do the command requested and then the DSVM executes the command and sends any output to the requestor. On Unix you would write a daemon to do the same thing. Received on Mon Nov 14 1994 - 16:30:56 CET

Original text of this message