Need a Windows DB package/engine!?

From: Michael Nermut <miken_at_werple.apana.org.au>
Date: 13 Nov 1994 13:37:31 +1100

Currently I am seeking a third party database package for use within a project I am working on in a Windows 3.1 enviroment. This package must be able to interact on an intimate level with already existing software, developed using Visual C++ and the MFC, yet may also function as a stand alone package. My wish list looks something like this :-

Perform all functions of a standard database
- creation of tables

  • storage and retrieval of data
  • provide searching strategies
  • other standard data base functions (editing, creating entries etc.)

Interfacing with controlling modules
- Must be a way of passing large amounts of data from the data
collection software to the database and vis versa
- Aspects of the database must be configurable from the data
collection and configuration software

GUI interface for database
- In addition it maybe possible to design methods for displaying data,
within the standard Windows interface, from within the databases development framework.
- Aspects of such a GUI interface should also be configure from the
data collection and configuration software.

Real time results generation
- As results are generated and made available to the user in real time,
the database must be able to add items within this real time constraint.

Networking
- It may also be advantageous if such a database could be placed
on a network and data files shared between multiple users, as results were generated at real time.

Does such a powerful application exist for windows, or am I dreaming? Id really appreciate your comments/experiences.

Thanks in advance

			Mike.......
			miken_at_werple.apana.org.au