Re: Oracle or Sybase?

From: Mark Marcus <markm_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 22:30:24 -0400

In article <Cz45nM.DIn_at_rampart.rco.qc.ca> prg_at_rampart.rco.qc.ca (David McCabe) writes:
>From: prg_at_rampart.rco.qc.ca (David McCabe)
>Subject: Re: Oracle or Sybase?
>Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 17:23:45 GMT

>In article <39r6ej$p1v_at_ucsbuxb.ucsb.edu>,
>Mark Schmidt <markts_at_mcl.ucsb.edu> wrote:
>>
>> easy question. the answer is progress.
>>
>> if your company insists it spend a fortune,
>> then oracle is expensive enough and often works.

There are three main problems with progress: 1) Market staying power - It will be very hard for a company as small as progress to compete with the Big Three and be a true long term player. 2) Database Size - Progress has a serious limitation on the size of a DB. A progress database can only be 200gig. With every company talking data warehouse, you can not even start to play with a DB under 200gig. 3) Parallel Data Query - Informix and Oracle have today and Sybase has promised. The only way today to get top performance in a DB.

If you have a very small database, few users and little or no budget, progress is a great choice. Progress has great GUI tools that develop applications very fast.

The gamble is if progress will be around in 5 years. I would not let my users take that chance. Received on Sat Nov 12 1994 - 03:30:24 CET

Original text of this message