Re: Incremental backup on Oracle?

From: Chaz Sliger <chaz_at_atlas.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 1994 01:02:45 GMT

In article <39mlsl$q5h_at_hk.super.net> wmlee_at_ha.org.hk (Lee Wai Man) writes:
>Sorry about the invisible message. Let me try it one more time:
>
>Hi everybody, I am trying to find out if it is feasible to do
>on-line incremental backup of the Oracle database, like the
>"dump transaction" command in Sybase? In other words, can I
>do a full database backup at the beginning of the month and
>then backup only the control files and the archived redo-logs
>in the subsequent days, and still be able to restore the
>database up to the most updated archived redo-log when there
>is a media failure? (say if I only have the full backup and a
>whole bunch of control files and archived redo-logs)
>If you have any idea, I would appreciate if you can post the
>procedures in detail.
>Thanks.
>Wai-man

CHAZ>	You are right.  Once you have a backup, you can save the
	archived redo logs and use them to roll forward after
	restoring the backup.  A cautionary note:  Since rolling
	through the redo logs retraces all of the database transacions
	it can take a very long time if you have many days worth
	of redo logs.  I've seen customers who backed up their
	database monthly and then kept the redo logs.  I had to
	restore such a system and it took 23 hours to run through
	all of the tapes.  And this was a small system.

--

	\             ____       Chaz Sliger
	 \            ___\\        Portland, OR