Re: Question: Backing up online databases

From: Chaz Sliger <chaz_at_atlas.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 1994 00:41:35 GMT

In article <39mleq$cel_at_news1.shell> sjs_at_shell.portal.com (Steve - Schow) writes:
> Hi all,
>
>We have a situation where we need to have oracle running 24 hours/7 days
>a week and we need to obviously keep the thing backed up. I have been
>pouring through all the books trying to figure out the strategy for this,
>and there seems to be little mentioned about this scenario. Apparantly most
>people don't need to do this.
>
>Anyway, what is the best strategy for this?
>
>If I understand correctly, you must backup your tablespaces one at a time
>and then backup your control files. This can all be done while the database
>is up and running. The redo logs CANNOT be backed up while the system is
>running.
>
>Now then, If you can't back up the redo logs, then what does that mean will
>happen when the system crashes and I have to restore?
>
>Basically, what I need to know is a good strategy to provide full recoverability
>of an oracle database that never gets shutdown(or if it does, only once a
>month or so for a few minutes).

CHAZ>	Not to worry Steve.  This is done all the time.
	We use oracle in high uptime installations for telecom
	applications and they don't get shut down for backups.
	If you have an 8mm tape you can automate this to run
	out of crontab (unix).  I have scripts to do this if you
	want to look at them as a starting point.

--

	\             ____       Chaz Sliger
	 \            ___\\        Portland, OR