Re: Oracle AS/400 Gateway

From: Lawrence James <James.Lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 23:12:08 GMT

In article <39bev6$5g6_at_dcsun4.us.oracle.com> ddargo_at_us.oracle.com (Dave Dargo) writes:
>From: ddargo_at_us.oracle.com (Dave Dargo)
>Subject: Re: Oracle AS/400 Gateway
>Date: 3 Nov 1994 19:51:02 GMT

>dasrsm_at_uwoadmin.uwo.ca writes:

>>We purchased Oracle's gateway product to access data that resides on
>>an IBM AS/400 as part of Oracle / PowerBuilder application. No matter what we
>>have tried, the gateway seems to always sweep the AS/400 data tables rather
>>than using the indexes.
>>
>Index usage is not a function of the gateway. The SQL statement is passed
>from the gateway to the AS/400 for processing. It is up to the AS/400 to
>determine the access path. You may want to speak with your data administrator
>to understand how your particular SQL statement would be processed by the
>AS/400.

>Dave (ddargo_at_us.oracle.com)

If he is using the transparent gateway isn't it possible that the gateway is deciding that the query cannot be supported by the target database and is loading all the rows into the Oracle database for processing?

Also is this part of a join across databases? If so then don't do that. Use PL SQL routine instead.

Lawrence..... Received on Fri Nov 11 1994 - 00:12:08 CET

Original text of this message