Re: Use of OCI or PRO*C with C++

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_wwsun10.us.oracle.com>
Date: 11 Nov 1994 05:24:21 GMT

In article <39t9sa$574_at_eccdb1.pms.ford.com>, bhuller writes:
|> Yes but I have heard that OCI is not a supported route in 7.1 ->
|> Oracle are allowed to change the OCI as they like it eg. in Oracle 6 osql3 but in Oracle7 oparse but they were kind enough to provide backwards compatibility do not expect such kindness after 7.0.16. If you used the Pro*C compiler hey just get the latest |> version and recompile and link and hey presto Oracle have to worry about changed calls etc. so......
|>
|> If you like a challenge and plenty of maintenance (if you moving up across versions) but more control over parsing.cursors etc than stick to OCI
|> If you know SQL and do not want to learn OCI than go Pro*C - also I believe a Pro*c application will have more life.

OCI is supported in 7.1, and will continue to be supported, as far as I know. Functions such as osql3() (valid in version 6) are valid in the next major release (namely Oracle7) and will most likely be removed by the time the Oracle8 library comes out. For example, the version 5 OCI calls are no longer in the Oracle7 library. That's pretty standard with Oracle.

(My own opinions, based on my own experience.) Received on Fri Nov 11 1994 - 06:24:21 CET

Original text of this message