Re: SQL Question...

From: Joe Vivona <jav9207_at_hertz.njit.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 12:28:18 GMT

In article <allan.1134808479E_at_newshost.lanl.gov> allan_at_apple.com (Allan Marcus) writes:
>I'm kinda new to Oracle, so please don't kill me if this is too easy!
>
>I have two identicle tables. each table contains a LONG column. I want to
>copy the data from table A to table B. Here's what I tried:
>
>insert into B select * from A
>
>Unfortuantely, I get a "ORA-00997: Illeage use of LONG datatype" error message.
>
>So, how can I move the data?

We just ran across this questions in our system. The way to do it is to use the COPY command. I don't have the book in front of me right now so I won't pretend that I memorized the syntax, but I know I found the answer in the SQL Language reference manual for 7.0. Received on Thu Nov 10 1994 - 13:28:18 CET

Original text of this message