Re: Corporate Plans for Distributing Databases

From: John Baez <johnb_at_sun.com>
Date: 10 Nov 1994 14:43:12 GMT

In article 8g3_at_newsbf01.news.aol.com, garymelhaf_at_aol.com (GaryMelhaf) writes:
> I am in need of advise as to what's possible and a corporate direction for
> planning the distribution of Oracle databases to remote servers. We're a
> brand new Oracle shop and don't know what a prudent approach would be to
> using synchronous versus ansynchronous and replication and...
>
> I would be very appreciative of any advise you can give if you have
> experience in this area. I need to be able to understand the technical
> but communicate with upper executive management.
>
> I can send you a word for windows 6 document of my draft evaluation for
> your perusal. Thanks!

I suggest you locate a good consultant to help you. Distributing data is no trivial issue. I've been doing this for a while now and I assure you, there is no 'cookbook recipe' for distribution. There are multiple options available and choosing the wrong ones will result in a large penalty.

The Oracle DBMS offers the right set of options for your environment so it won't be your problem. You need to concentrate on the design issues and the factors which are most important to you (i.e. data availability, performance, consistency, etc.).

Good luck!

John Baez Received on Thu Nov 10 1994 - 15:43:12 CET

Original text of this message