Re: Opinions about archive logs to tape

From: louis.avrami..jr <lou2_at_cbnews.att.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 17:43:17 GMT

In article <39k881$3jb_at_news1.shell>,
Steve - Schow <sjs_at_shell.portal.com> wrote:
>I would like all your opinions and experiences with sending archive logs
>directly to a SCSI tape drive via the ARCHIVE_LOG_DEST parameter(or
>whatever its called).
>
>What are the ups and downs?
>
>Thanks
>
>-steve
>
>--
> __ __

Two downs to be aware of -

  1. When sending redo logs directly to tape using ORACLE's archmon, you must "dedicate one terminal session" to archmon. Close the window, the database stops when your redo log files fill up. (This is true for UNIX; is it the same for other OSs?)
  2. To change tapes, the archiver must be shut off or the database shut down. If your tape fills up in the middle of heavy processing, you could be in trouble.

I found it to be much easier to have the redo logs archived to a file. I periodically cpio the files together, compress them, and then write them to tape.

Lou Avrami ( attmail!lavrami ) Received on Thu Nov 10 1994 - 18:43:17 CET

Original text of this message