Re: INSERT: Table vs. View

From: L. Scott Johnson <sjohnson_at_math.scarolina.edu>
Date: 10 Nov 1994 19:18:38 GMT

bpearc1_at_abacus.tis.tandy.com (Byron Pearce) writes:

>PLATFORM: DEC/RISC Ultrix 4.4 RDBMS V6.0.37.3.3

>We have a situation at our site that I was hoping someone could
>shed some light on for me. We have a table (owned by Schema A)
>and a view (owned by Schema B) which is a view of that table.
>In our application program, we are doing an insert through the
>view.

>I was wondering: is there a performance difference between inserting
>to a view and inserting directly to the table? Oracle said that they
>could not answer this question.

If it's a straight view, which this is, performance will only be degraded by one additional database access, contained completely on the server side, per insert statement.

If it is a pure view (contains all columns and no where clause), you'd be better off with a synonym. Still one database access, but more likely to be only one disk block access as well - and you have a cleaner logic structure. Received on Thu Nov 10 1994 - 20:18:38 CET

Original text of this message