INSERT: Table vs. View

From: Byron Pearce <bpearc1_at_abacus.tis.tandy.com>
Date: 10 Nov 1994 16:57:02 GMT

PLATFORM: DEC/RISC Ultrix 4.4 RDBMS V6.0.37.3.3

We have a situation at our site that I was hoping someone could shed some light on for me. We have a table (owned by Schema A) and a view (owned by Schema B) which is a view of that table. In our application program, we are doing an insert through the view.

I was wondering: is there a performance difference between inserting to a view and inserting directly to the table? Oracle said that they could not answer this question.

Thanks!

Byron Pearce                        |  The thoughts and views herein do not
Tandy Information Services          |  necessarily reflect that of Tandy
byron.pearce_at_tandy.com              |  Corporation.
"It's hard to be a ninja when you wear a beeper."