Transactions per hour?

From: Steve - Schow <sjs_at_shell.portal.com>
Date: 9 Nov 1994 22:13:38 GMT

Hi all,

I was wondering what kind of throughput you all have been getting in terms of the number of connections/transactions per hour. By a connection, I mean a remote program written using OCI opens a database connection, does several transactions and closes the connection(via SQL*NET).

How fast can Oracle deal with a bunch of those happening concurrently? I ran a test over night that seemed to indicate that it was able to make about 100,000 connections, each of which did 3 insert transactions. It took about 18 hours to do that. That seems pretty slow to me.

We are using Oracle 7.1.3 on a Sun Sparc 20. We have optimized as much as possible in terms of memory and disks. Actually, we could probably optimize the disks a little more. They are using RAW partitions and we have them stripped. But we could still stand to seperate them out more, like moving different tablespaces to different devices...etc.....

But it has 256 MB RAM with a HUGE SGA and nothing else really running on it.

Thanks in advance

-steve
--