[ANNOUNCEMENT] Miscellaneous utilities including unloadr

From: Jeff Stander <jstander_at_ml.csiro.au>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 1994 20:11:40 GMT

My two years contract with the CSIRO Division of Fisheries is now finished. I have placed in the CSIRO public ftp directory most of the general purpose utilities, routines and commands which I have written to help my work. I hope they may be of help you. Feedback to my new email address is welcome.

All the best,

Jeff Stander.

JEFF'S DIRECTORIES IN THE CSIRO FTP AREA:
/software/jstander/dbfx - DBF (dBase/Foxpro) file reader

						  for loading to Oracle via flat files

/software/jstander/form_verifcation - double entry data verification
/software/jstander/tsmlib - library of useful C routines
/software/jstander/perllib - my perl subs and packages
/software/jstander/wdbex - world database map extractor
/software/jstander/xsql - Xwindow SQL and tables
/software/jstander/oracle_utilities - see following:
___________________________________________________________________________ MISCELLANEOUS ORACLE UTITILES

The utilities in this directory are a collection of tools I use to help me with Oracle.

Please note that some of these utilities are "quick and dirty", while others (noteably the ones written in Perl and Oraperl) are a bit more robust. I offer them only to share what I have written for my own use and do not make any guarantees that they will work for you. I hope they do help, of course, and if you find any bugs I'd appreciate a message. If you find them useful (or awful) I would like to hear your opinions.

The most useful program to "the world" so far has been "unloadr", which extracts data in Oracle tables to flat files and also creates a desciptor file ("dex" file) which contains the data dictionary.

The companion routines to "unloadr" are "mkloadf", and "dexalign" which together constitute a suite of programs focusing around the dex file which make it very easy to create and manage tables in the Unix environment.

Jeff Stander

Location:

	host:	ftp.ml.csiro.au
	IP:	192.67.12.100
	dir:	/software/jstander/oracle_utilities

In the above directory the following utilities for ORACLE and ORACLE*FORMS are stored as various zip, shar, and tar file archives:

	orautils.shar		- all utilities in shar format
	orautils.shar.Z		- all utilities in shar format, compressed
	orautils.tar.Z		- all utilities tar format
	orautils.zip		- all utilities zipped
	unloadr.Z   		- unloadr utility compressed
	unloadr.zip 		- unloadr utility zipped
	flatutils.shar		- shar file for ASCII data file utilities only

General:
	README                  - this notice
	oraperl.FAQ		- FAQ for oraperl

FORMS 3.0 utilities
	checkform       	- variable reference info from .inp file
	compfldnames		- check field names against table in .inp file
	lineup                  - filter to reset field alignment in .inp file

	revline   		- write standard source code headers
	dexalign        	- field descriptor alignment in .dex file
	mkloadf			- create control, create table, and input files
				  for Oracle data loading
	mkloadf.1       	- manual page for above
	revline			- create boilerplate headers for scripts/programs/dex files
	revline.1 		- manual page for above
	unloadr			- extract data from Oracle table to delimited ASCII file, has
				  embedded man page

Database Maintenance
	create_index		- create table indexes
	datadict		- create nroff/troff data dictionary table
	drop_index		- drop table indexes
	find_dups		- program to find duplicate keys in a table
	newstruct		- unload and reload a table into a new or modified structure
	nextval			- show next value in Oracle sequence

Xwindow utitlities (uses xtpanel)
	xbox			- pipe stdin or file to an Xwindow "box"
	xsqlbox			- like above but tailored to Oracle SQL*PLUS output
	sqlx/xsqlx		- shell/Xwindow interface to Oracle database
	tables/xtables		- shell/Xwindow table and database information manager

ASCII data file maintenance:
	add_delims		- insert or change delimiters in ASCII file
	add_delims.1    	- manual page for above
	insert_delims   	- insert delimiters at fixed columns in ASCII file
	insert_delims.1 	- manual page for above
	zerofill_fields 	- pad numeric/fill numeric/move fields in ASCII file
	zerofill_fields.1 	- manual page for above

Perl/Oraperl/C subroutines:
	keypress.pl		- sub to read from keyboard
	keypress.c 		- called by keypress.pl, needs to be compiled
	fullpath.pl		- find full path name of argument
	nsu.pl			- handle netgroup superuser access
	rform.pl		- run Oracle forms in xterm window
	selection.pl		- create user selection menu
	sqlx.pl			- SQL*PLUS subroutine library for perl & oraperl
	test_for_oracle.pl	- test if Oracle running on this host
	dtime.pl		- formatted time
	misc.pl			- miscellaneous subs
	oraenv.pl		- set Oracle environment (needs customizing)
	oraenv6.pl		- set Oracle environment (needs customizing)
	revline.pl		- create standard source code headers
	rform.pl		- run a form with runform30
	subopts.pl		- parse options to Perl subs
	unloadr.pl		- support for unloadr

To Install:

  1. Compile keypress.c with your favorite C compiler. (e.g. gcc -fpcc-struct-return -o keypress keypress.c)
  2. Copy all the .pl files to your perl library directory (e.g. /home/jstander/lib/perl).
  3. Link the following files: ln xtables tables ln unloadr unloadr.1 ln sqxl xsqlx
  4. Copy all the document files (*.1 files) to your ../man/man1 directory.
  5. Copy the executables to a directory in your PATH, (normally bin):
		add_delims
		checkform
		compfldnames
		create_index
		datadict
		dexalign
		drop_index
		find_dups
		insert_delims
		keypress (you just compiled this)
		lineup
		mkloadf
		nextval
		newstruct
		revline
		sqlx
		tables
		unloadr
		xbox
		xsqlbox
		xsqlx
		xtables
		zerofill_fields

6. Environment: The following environment variables will affect these routines:

	ORACLE_HOME	- should contain Oracle home directory
	ORACLE_HOST	- should contain name of Oracle host machine
	PRINTER		- should contain default printer name
	NSU_USER	- if reqd. set to default user to 'nsu' to
	COPYRIGHT	- should contain your copyright string

7. If you don't have xtpanel on your system, you will need to get and install that

    (see the README file)

8. If you don't have Perl 4.0 or later you will need to get and install that, too.

    Also you will need oraperl for many of the programs and xtpanel for the Xwindow     stuff.

                        PERL SUBROUTINES AND UTILITIES

	host:	ftp.ml.csiro.au
	IP:	192.67.12.100
	dir:	/software/jstander/perllib

	Doc			- manual for the routines contained herein
	dtime.pl		- formatted time
	fullpath.pl		- get full path of a directory or file
	keypress.pl		- raw response from keyboard*
	misc.pl			- small utilities (max, min, in_list, etc)
	nsu.pl			- handles network superuser to other userid
	oraenv.pl		- Oracle 7 environment
	oraenv6.pl		- Oracle 6 environment
	print.pl		- handles access to network printers
	revline.pl		- part of revline program
	rform.pl		- run Oracle FORMS30
	selection.pl		- simple interactive selection menu
	sqlx.pl			- Oracle interface routines (uses oraperl)
	subopts.pl		- handle option passing in subroutine arguments
	test_for_oracle.pl	- see of Oracle present on host
	timing.pl		- mark and report on running times
	tsm.pl			- some file testing routines
	uncomment.pl		- remove C-style and shell comments
	unloadr.pl		- support Oracle 'unloadr' routine
	usage.pl		- write the "usage: .." statement
	variance.pl		- stats: standard deviation and variance
	ask.c			- C program to support keypress.pl
	revline			- write program headers
	revline.1		- manual page for revline
	ask.1			- manual page for ask

  • requires "C" program: ask

                        FORMS 3.0 DOUBLE ENTRY DATA VERIFICATION Forms Tools in /software/jstander/form_verification

These are tools for working with FORMS 3.0 inp files.

checkform	- check as form and produce a table of fields, locs, etc.
checkform.1	- man page for above
insert_proc	- insert a procedure into a form
insert_trig	- insert a trigger into a form
lineup		- manipulate field locations in the inp file
lineup.1	- man page for above
mkverify	- convert an inp file to a double-entry verification form
mkverify.1	- man page for above
sqlx.pl		- perl support package for mkverify
misc.pl		- perl support package for mkverify
subopts.pl	- perl support package for mkverify
anzora.ps	- postscript documentation of ANZORA (Oracle User Group)
		  paper on double entry data verification.
anzora.wp	- WordPerfect document of above

Jeff.Stander_at_ml.csiro.au        _--_|\        Database Analyst
CSIRO Division Of Fisheries    /      \       Pelagic Fisheries Resources
GPO Box 1538, Hobart           \_.--._/       Tasmania 7001, Australia
Aus Tel: 002-325-332                 v        Intl Tel: +61-02-325-332
Aus Fax: 002-325-000                          Intl Fax: +61-02-325-000
NEW ADDRESS EFFECTIVE 8 NOVEMBER 1994: jstander _at_ozemail.com.au (Note: Mail to above will be forwarded). Received on Tue Nov 08 1994 - 21:11:40 CET

Original text of this message