moving oracle to a new partition

From: Ayrton Sargusingh <asargusi_at_sbrsim.ed.dreo.dnd.ca>
Date: 8 Nov 1994 16:02:40 GMT

Hi database gurus:

I currently have oracle 6.0.33 installed in a partition, but would like to move it to a larger partition. Oracle is currently installed in /thirdParty, with /thirdParty/oracle/dbs being a link to another partition /oracle_data.

I attempted to copy all the oracle binary files with 'cp -rp'. This copied all the files successfully to what will be the new thirdParty volume. However, when I attempted to bring oracle up, it complained that the data files (files in /oracle_data) were out of synch with the database.

Is it possible to move oracle to another partition or is it better simply to reinstall oracle? We cannot move to a more current version due to technical reasons. Thanks for your input.

--
-------
Ayrton Sargusingh, SBR System Manager        | phone: 613-998-2932