Re: Compressed pipes of files?

From: Michael Rife <mrife_at_nyx10.cs.du.edu>
Date: 8 Nov 1994 10:30:56 -0700

In article <Cyx47y.90o_at_vcd.hp.com>, Terry Ball <tball_at_vcd.hp.com> wrote:

>I read the FAQ and it show how to do a compressed pipe of the export, but I
>would like to do a compressed pipe of the files. Is this possible, and if
>so, can all the files be compressed into one file? If one file is possible,
>which UNIX command is the most efficient?
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Terry

I have used the following to do an export. The export uncompressed is >390 MEG  and compressed it is 113 MEG. It creates a pipe file, the compressed file, and the nohup.out file.

   /etc/mknod ora_export.dmp p
   nohup compress < ora_export.dmp > ora_export.dmp.Z &    nohup exp id/pswd constraints=y grants=y full=y file=ora_export.dmp &

The following will show the contents of the compressed export file:

    /etc/mknod ora_export.dmp p
    nohup uncompress < ora_export.dmp.Z > ora_export.dmp &     nohup imp id/psw show=y full=y file=ora_export.dmp &

I did not see a big difference in the time to export. Received on Tue Nov 08 1994 - 18:30:56 CET

Original text of this message