Re: Speed Problem with Oracle/ODBC

From: Lawrence James <James.Lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 20:24:37 GMT

In article <398bof$edg_at_ns.cityscape.co.uk> af02_at_cityscape.co.uk (James Miller) writes:
>From: af02_at_cityscape.co.uk (James Miller)
>Subject: Speed Problem with Oracle/ODBC
>Date: 2 Nov 1994 15:37:51 GMT

>We have written a simple program, that analyses and mines databases. The
>program has been written in Visual Basic and accesses Oracle and other
>databases through ODBC.

>No problem, works sensibly and our customers like it.

>Trouble is we now have a client who wants to give the product to upwards
>of two hundred users, all of whom will be accessing the database at the
>same time. The standard ODBC drivers will crucify everything.

>Any ideas?

>James Miller
>Daisy_at_CityScape.co.uk

>Data Analysis Interactively for all Databases

>"There is no greater thrill in life, than showing something is impossible
>and then proving how it can be done!" - Barnes Wallis

I've benchmarked queries with Oracle's V7 ODBC driver and it out performed the native API on single row retrievals. (Multi row fetches in the native API are faster) Q&E makes the same claim about their ODBC driver. If you have a performance problem with those drivers then the problem's not in the driver. If you're using Microsoft's ODBC driver for Oracle 6 I don't know how it performs.

Lawrence... Received on Mon Nov 07 1994 - 21:24:37 CET

Original text of this message