Re: Oracle 7 for Windows? / Oracle & 123?

From: Paul Mergener <pmerge_at_pacersoft.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 1994 08:52:04 -0400

In article <sherryo.42.00126B8C_at_interlog.com>, sherryo_at_interlog.com (Sherry Oliver) wrote:

> Can anyone tell me about accessing Oracle via 123 without the datalens? I was
> told that the next release (which could be current by now) of Glue would
> actually add Oracle options to the spreadsheet pull down menus. Any info
 would
> be appreciated.

There are two pieces that you need to do this. A front-end application and some middleware. For a straight Oracle solution you could use Oracle's SQL*Net as your middleware. There are other middleware solutions available as well. There is EDA/SQL from Information Builders, SequeLink from Techgnosis, SQL*Net from Oracle and the DAL Server for Unix from Pacer Software (the company I work for). All of these work quite well. If you would like more information on DAL please send me email at the address listed below.

There are many front-end applications available on the PC that are ODBC aware. I know 123 supports DAL and I suspect most if not all of the middleware products above. In addition, there are many popular front-ends that allow you to access the remote Oracle data. These include GQL from Andyne, DataPrism from
Brio, MS-Access from Microsoft and Clear Access from Fairfield Software.

Paul Mergener
Pacer Software                  "Keeping You Well Connected"
pmerge_at_pacersoft.com
508-898-3300                     FAX 508-366-1356