Re: Need comments about Develoment Tools

From: Steven P. Muench <smuench_at_oracle.com>
Date: 04 Nov 1994 19:13:59 GMT

> > I think Oracle has made it quite clear that the future of
> > its development tools is Windows. CDE2 is very heavily
> > Windows oriented; ALMOST ALL OF THE NEW FEATURES ARE _____
> > ORIENTED TOWARDS WINDOWS. \

                                                                \
                                                             +-------+
                                                             | WHAT? |
                                                             +-------+

All of Forms 4.5's features, with the obvious exception of full OLE2 support (including Automation!) and seamless VBX Control support, are fully portable to all the GUI's we run on. That includes GUI's without the "G", namely character mode as well.

We've have paid *extra* attention to produce a product that will knock the socks off even the biggest Windows "bigot", including the ability for *you* to build applications with all the leading-edge Windows features, while still reaping the industry-leading network performance and scalability for a client/server application development tool.

This has not been at the *expense* of producing a solid Mac and Motif release, however.

In fact, when you see it on the Mac, or one of the many Motif platforms, with its much more productive designer interface and key new productivity improvements, it will blow your "Mac" and "Motif" socks off, too!

DAMN, I'm starting to sound like I work in Marketing, and not in Development! It's hard not to be excited, though, about these new tools. :-)

> This is a concern for us. We are also looking at going to Oracle, and as
> a Mac site, one of the big selling points was that the Mac version of
> FORMS4 was better than the Windows one.
>
> If they are going to concentrate on Windows and ignore the Mac it will be
> a bit of a problem for us.
>
> Does anyone know of Oracles plans for the Mac platform? Will it be a
> priority or will it just wimper away?

The Base Development group is responsible for Mac, Windows, and Motif base ports, and we are working to bring out the primary three GUI's (four including character mode) within a reasonable time frame of one another. Work is already well underway!

Hope this helps.

--

Steve Muench         Email: smuench_at_oracle.com
Forms Development      CIS: 73404,676