Re: Oracle on Netware

From: Henry Harrison <hharriso_at_tdc.dircon.co.uk>
Date: 4 Nov 1994 10:48:18 GMT

Sue Brauer (jcs_at_onramp.net) wrote:

: Does anyone out there run Oracle 7 on a Novell Netware? Is this not a normal
: thing or what? I can't seem to find anyone doing it, if there are people out
: there, where are they and how long have they been doing it? Thanks.

Hi. Yes, we run Oracle 7 on Netware 3.12. We're currently running 7.0.16.6.0 and it's all on a Compaq Proliant with a Pentium 66 and 128 M of RAM.

When it's working, it works fine and performance is good - in a completely unscientific comparison it returned a query in 2/3 the time of one of our instances on a Sun server. This doesn't really mean too much tho because I don't know too much about the config of the Sun.

The SPX listener process is fine, and very convenient in not needing IP, but there's also a TCP/IP listener and this works well too.

HOWEVER there are some stability issues, and because it's Netware, these are usually fatal...The major defect in this area is that the cost-based optimiser doesn't work and usually abends the server. Switch cost-based optimisation off and you're ok. The problem is supposed to be fixed when they release 7.1 for NW.

There are other stability issues as well, and the problems seem to be at a pretty low level - we've had to install about a million patches because of Oracle<->NW<->Compaq Proliant interop problems.

Bottom line: stability is an issue, but when it works, it works well.

Hope this helps.

Henry Harrison

*These are private opinions and do not represent the opinions of my employer* Received on Fri Nov 04 1994 - 11:48:18 CET

Original text of this message