SQLWindows - Oracle v7 Performance

From: Ken Seymour <kzs_at_scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 22:49:38 GMT

Greetings all,

        We currently have a ~major~ performance problem using SQLwindows as a front end to an Oracle v7 database.

Using SQLWindows 5.0 with the SQLRouter, through SQL*Net V1.1.7.8 to an Oracle database v7.0.16.6.0, running a 486 66 Pc with 16Meg of RAM off a Novell Lan, we get a 12 second connect time, ie a simple connect to the database takes 12 seconds. This problem increases dramatically off "lesser" PC's.

Using nettest we get almost instantaneous connections and the same systems connecting to a SQLBase database are also almost instantaneous.

We have tried SQL*Net v2, however we actually got a worse connect time (and have hence put that upgrade off temporarily)

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences? If so were you able to solve them?

We are using Novell TCP/IP Transport v4.1 with Netware Link Support Layer v2.05.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

	Have a nice day :-)
		Ken Seymour.

Ken Seymour			             email: kzs_at_scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au
Telecom Australia (Telstra)                                 Phone (03) 632 8066
Information Technology Group                                  Fax (03) 632 6021