On Delete Cascade OR Delete Trigger

From: Lorrie Gagnon <gagnon_at_dsr.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 22:52:01 GMT

Hi folks,

I am just beginning to create my triggers and stored procedures for my Oracle 7.1.3 database. I would like some advise as to whether it is preferable to use the ON DELETE CASCADE option on the constraint clauses or DELETE TRIGGERS. Assume that the delete triggers would be going through all subordinate tables to delete rows with a foreign key referenced in the primary table.

I am concerned about the relative performance gains of using one of these strategies over the other and any other possible benefits that I might see in choosing one strategy.

All suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Lorrie Gagnon
gagnon_at_dsr.com Received on Wed Nov 02 1994 - 23:52:01 CET

Original text of this message