Re: Oracle access via EXCEL

From: Andreas C. Enotiadis <ace_at_ics.forth.gr>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 08:49:58

In article <pmerge-2610940902290001_at_192.156.173.181> pmerge_at_pacersoft.com (Paul R. Mergener) writes:
>From: pmerge_at_pacersoft.com (Paul R. Mergener)
>Subject: Re: Oracle access via EXCEL
>Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 09:02:29 -0400

>In article <38kfgo$dbo_at_tbird1.pad.otc.com.au>, ballarin_at_nms.otc.com.au
>(David Ballarin) wrote:

>> Can anyone help me with this problem.
>>
>> I use Excel a lot to generate nice reports with data from my Oracle database.
>> I'm running Oracle on a Sun platform. I spool the data from Oracle into a file
>> in a CSV format and then FTP the file to the PC. I find this cumbersome and
>> time consuming.
>> I heard about a program called DAL that runs on a Unix Oracle
>> system that enables me to execute SQL commands within Excel.

>You heard correctly. Pacer develops DAL servers for UNIX platforms
>(including Sun) which support several databases including Oracle. From
>within Excel you can access the Oracle database and execute queries
>without having to know or write SQL, and the data is returned directly to
>your spreadsheet.
>
>> Can anyone advise if this is true and if so where can I get a copy ?

>I can get you additional information and/or an evaluation copy of the
>software. If you have additional questions on DAL, you can reach me at
>pmerge_at_pacersoft.com.

>> Is there any other program around to do a similar thing ?

>Yes there are several other middleware solutions available. Some use ODBC
>and some you can access directly. Most you can access both ways. These
>include HyperStar from VMark/Constellation, EDA/SQL from Informantion
>Builders, and SequeLink from Techgnosis. All of these work quite well.

>--
>Paul R. Mergener
>Pacer Software
>pmerge_at_pacersoft.com

If you're happy with a little SQL the generic ODBC access tool from EXCEL (MSQuery) is fine. We use it all the time to set up complex reports (formatting wise) for customers (especially sales reports and such). All you need in this case is the Oracle ODBC driver and SQL*Net TCP

Regards
Andreas

Andreas C. Enotiadis
Internetwork Ltd
"My views DEFINITELY represent those of InterNetwork Ltd - It's mine dammit!"
ace_at_ics.forth.gr
ace_at_iesl.forth.gr
ace_at_praxis.forth.gr

Snail-Mail :7 Fokidos Str, 11526 Athens, Greece. Tel : 7486222-3, Fax 7486223