Re: DBA vs UNIX Admin Roles

From: Brian Sakach <Brian.Sakach_at_DaytonOH.NCR.COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 20:07:06 GMT

>In article <moricetCyHnwv.1wC_at_netcom.com> Tom Morice writes:
>Hi William:
>
>I've had experience with two types of organizational structures
>where DBAs are:
>
>1) more closely aligned with applications development
>2) part of Computer Operations Tech. Support

I agree with Tom. At AT&T Global Information Solutions we are moving away from grouping DBAs with applications development. Our "design and analysis" piece, however, is still with the applications development groups for the huge projects. If it was easier to recruit qualified DBAs I'm sure the development groups would be more willing to readily give up their DBAs to Technical Support.  The DBAs are valuable commodities and often are "hidden" within the development group.

In a related matter, has anyone defined the role of a developer and that of a DBA? Thanks for any help.

Brian Sakach Received on Tue Nov 01 1994 - 21:07:06 CET

Original text of this message