Re: Lazy Write-Back??

From: Chip Dawes <ACD008_at_email.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 18:23:29 GMT

In article <James.Lawrence.26.001332F1_at_epamail.epa.gov>, James.Lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov (Lawrence James) wrote:

> What else was going on? Is it possible that it didn't have to do physical
> reads for the first part of your second query because the DB block buffer
> already had them from the first query. Then on the third query it couldn't
> find them in the buffer so had to read them again. This would happen even
> without any other activity if you buffer is smaller that the total blocks
> since the least recently used blocks would have been the first part of the
> table and would have been reused for the end of the table in your second query.
>
> If you want a repeatable measure of physical reads you need to flush any
> possible existing blocks. I do it by selecting from a really large table
> unrelated to my test. That fills the buffer up with that table and I know
> that none of my test tables are in it.

It is my understanding of Oracle, that full table scans put datablocks at the tail end
of the LRU chain. So it shouldn't matter. All 3 queries were full table scans, and since
there was no index on the table (and it was larger than the small_table_threshhold)
no activity on the table should persist in the cache.

Any other ideas?

Chip Dawes Received on Tue Nov 01 1994 - 19:23:29 CET

Original text of this message