triggers and locks

From: Virinchipuram J. A. <fbap3120_at_cobra.nus.sg>
Date: 31 Oct 1994 08:33:59 GMT

Hi Gurus!

        I will first give u a overview and then present my query:

        I have four tables: company_p, employee_p, dependent_p and patient.

	Table_name 	Key			Referential integrity
	company_p	comp_code	 	none
	employee_p	emp_num		 	comp_code (on Cascade Delete)
	dependent_p	emp_num, depn_num 	emp_num	  (on Cascade Delete)
	patient		pateint_id		none

	I have following triggers

	Table_name	Trigger_name		Tirgger_type     Action
	employee_p	up_patient1		After Delete	Update a column
								in patient
								table, and
								Insert the
								deleted record
								from the
								employee_p
								table
								into an
								exclusion table

	dependent_p	up_patient2		After Delete	update a column
								in patient
								table.
								Insert the
                                                                deleted
								record
                                                                from the
                                                                dependnt_p
                                                                table
                                                                into an
                                                                exclusion
								table.

	company_p	trigger_3		After Delete	Insert
								the deleted
								record
								into an
								exclusion
								table.

	The thing that I want to accomplish is this:
	When I delete a company record, by referential constraint
	I am able to cascade delete the employee records and the dependent
	records and at the same time through the triggers, I am able to
	update and insert records in appropriate tables.

	The situation I faced, was that the system crashed, when I deleted
	a record from the company_p table, complaining that the DML locks
	were exceeded.

	My query is why is it that it complained, and whether this can be
	rectified by increasing the number of locks in the initialilization
	file.

-anand

--

Anand. V. J Internet:fbap3120_at_leonis.nus.sg Dept Of Decision Sciences
National University Of Singapore Received on Mon Oct 31 1994 - 09:33:59 CET

Original text of this message