Re: DBA vs UNIX Admin Roles

From: STTNG - Tin Man <cscc12_at_menudo.uh.edu>
Date: 29 Oct 1994 05:26:34 GMT

deco4_at_mail.msen.com wrote:

: Hello all, at my installation (large IBM mainframe,
: VAX(VMS), HP(HP-UX) shop, we are having on on-going
We have IBM RS/6000 99K (AIX), Sun (Solaris), DEC(Ultrix), Oracle is our main databasr engine.
: controversy about the division of responsibility between
: the Oracle DBAs and the Computer Operations Technical
: support staff. At issue are
: 1. Who writes and runs back-up scripts?
Unix Admin. write/maintain/check backup; plan/monitor system resources (such as network, diskspace, cpu performance/bottlenecks)
: 2. Who brings up/down the Oracle data bases?
DBA boys provide scripts to bring up/down, export database for backup. Maintain all database-related functions (increase table space, keeping track of archive logs, etc)
: 3. etc. etc.
: I would be interested in knowing how other large sites
: handle this situation. Our Oracle DBAs are part of the
: Application development group, not part of computer
: operations. Thanks for your help.

We have a group of Application Development DBAs (work more closely with the life-cycle of the projects and act as a liason with the System DBA guys) and a group of System DBAs (working more closely with Unix Admin. guys to ensure all functional aspects of the databases).
: William R. Aikman