Re: Normalization : To Codd or not

From: Jeff Jacobs <jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 28 Oct 1994 16:07:28 GMT

In <38oi6b$10e_at_usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> axy7_at_po.CWRU.Edu (Adithya Yaga) writes:

>How improtant is normalisation in real world applications involving
>extremely large amounts of data with complex navigations? At the risk of
>offending Codd, when can I ignore normalisaton to avoid poor
>performance.
>Comments/Real experiences/etc. will be highly appreciated!
>-thanks.
>post or e-mail to kyr_at_safco.com

You should *never* ignore normalization. You should always start with normalized data, and denormalize only after careful consideration and analysis, and evaluating other alternatives.

And if you do denormalize, be sure that you document the hell out of it.

-JJ

 Jeffrey Jacobs & Associates
 Oracle CASE Consulting and Training
 951-2 Old Country Road, Suite 119
 Belmont, CA 94002
 Voice: 415-571-7092
 FAX: 800-665-1379
 CompuServe: 76702,456
 Internet: jjacobs_at_well.com
 Internet: jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com   Received on Fri Oct 28 1994 - 17:07:28 CET

Original text of this message