Re: ORACLE 6.0 ODBC Drivers?

From: Lawrence James <James.Lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 17:16:53 GMT

In article <383r4u$dou_at_netaxs.com> krimple_at_netaxs.com (Ken Rimple) writes:
>From: krimple_at_netaxs.com (Ken Rimple)
>Subject: ORACLE 6.0 ODBC Drivers?
>Date: 19 Oct 1994 19:13:34 GMT

>Hello All!

>I am working on researching an ODBC driver for ORACLE 6.0. The driver we
>have currently does not support the kind of speed we are looking for, and
>takes about 15 seconds to connect to a databse.

>We are using VB 3.0 -> ODBC -> SQLNET 1.1 -> ORACLE 6.0 on an Intergraph
>server... We also have the Sheridan Software VBXs, so the coding is
>great (if we could get fast ORACLE response time).

>SQL*PLUS connects fine, and performs relatively well.

>So does Powerbuilder.

>Hmm... It's the whole ODBC layer that is slow. Any clues?

Get off Oracle 6. I've benchmarked Oracle's ODBC driver for 7 against the native API using Powerbuilder and the ODBC driver was actually slightly faster for small return sets! The array feature of the native API makes it win on bigger return sets. Oracle's ODBC driver is available from compuserv. Don't expect any cooperation from Microsoft if you're going to use VB with Oracle's driver. I have the opinion, and it's only my opinion, that MS is making undocumented assumptions about their ODBC drivers from VB. Some people say Q&E's driver works better with VB. They also claim faster than native performance.