Re: Format dates in Forms 4.0

From: Kim Ng <kimmng_at_pebbles.uswnvg.com>
Date: 27 Oct 1994 20:45:20 GMT

Oops, I guess I pressed the wrong key when I responded to this message. Here it went:

To the answer that it is a tremendous effort to change this AND it will break a lot of stuff (blah blah blah) : IT IS JUST A BUNCH OF SHIT !!!!!! EITHER FIRE THE PROGRAMMER OR SOMEBODY WHO THOUGHT OF THIS RESPONSE !!!!! Yeah, bring in a REAL programmer who actually knows what he/she is doing.

To REAL programmers out there: how hard it is to check the length of a field and compare it to the length of the format mask and does the right stuff ? How long does it take to add a function call within a program ?

I personally would take about 1 or 2 hours in C just because I have never written a single line of C code before! I have debugged a few, though. In PL/SQL it should not take more than 20 minutes (including testing). To incorporate that should not take more than 15 minutes per program (assuming you have a complicated one).

Well, I guess those people at ORACLE never heard of such thing as: function/procedure, if statement, length of a variable, character substitution and variable conversion! I wonder how they ........... <grin>

 Kim Ng
 (Just a low life contract programmer. Thus, my clients won't adopt my views.)

Claudine Bergeron (Claudine.Bergeron_at_sit.ulaval.ca) wrote:
: In article <1994Oct24.172022.55_at_rediris.es> diez_at_rediris.es writes:
: >From: diez_at_rediris.es
: >Subject: Format dates in Forms 4.0
: >Date: 24 Oct 94 17:20:22 +0100

: >That's the problem:

: >I'm working with a date field in FORMS 4.0.13.15.0 with a format like
: >DD/MM/YYYY (the date comes from a table). This format works good if i
: >fill it with the EXACT format i especified, for example 12/12/1994, but
: >if i fill it with the date like 12121994, it understands the date like
: >12/21/0094, because it overwrites positions 3th and 6th with the slashes
: >especified in the format.

: >But this is not the end, because i can fill it with 12j12j1994 and
: >understand
: >the correct date. It doesn't matter if the character used between the day
: > and
: >the month and between the month and the year is '/' or any other one.

: >In FORMS 3.0 i can fill the date like 12121994 or 12/12/1994, because it
: >applies the format when i leave the field, and it understands 12/12/1994
: >in both cases.

: >We ask for this to our support in Spain, but they said it was an
: > improvement
: >for dates in this version. Is this an improvement?. Is there any way to
: >manage the format of the dates in FORMS 4.0 like in FORMS 3.0?.

: >Thanks.

: >Mario D¡ez (Email miguel.diez_at_sociol.es)
: >Centro de Investigaciones Sociol¢gicas
: >c/ Montalb n, 8
: >28014 - Madrid
: >Spain

: Hi,

: We had the same problem. Here is the response of Oracle Support:

: Known bug from bug 188284.

: This change in fonctionality was done intentionally. The basic reason
: for doing this
: was to tighten up the Date routine input processing. There were many cases
: where the
: Dates package would accept very questionable input. The decision was made
: that the
: default parsing would just skip over the same number of chars in the input
: as where
: found in the format mask without checking to make sure that they match up.
: There is a
: format option, the FX format modifier, that causes the Dates routines to do
: strict checking
: of the literal text but this is not the default. At this point it would
: break a tremendous
: amount of code trying to change this behavior back to what was done in V3.

: There is a possibility of adding in a new format modifier that would
: attempt to
: provide the same fonctionality as that that was provided in V3 but it would
: be very difficult
: to change the default behavior back.