Re: USING RAID and other disk drive issues.

From: Peter Diffey <pete_at_canton.cmiu-ip.bt.co.uk>
Date: 27 Oct 1994 17:48:58 GMT

We have a number of databases running on raid 3 from Sun Sparcs

You should (I am told) always put re-do logs and indexes on different disks.

This implies having 4 separate complete raid systems - worth it if you have mega gigs of data

We have the lot on a single logical disk.

Regarding performance

RAID 3 actually runs faster than a single disk - this is because you get the data when the first disk finds the info, the performance is supposed to be around 30% better.

On writes it is around the same as a single disk.

Pete Diffey
System Designer Received on Thu Oct 27 1994 - 18:48:58 CET

Original text of this message