Multilingual option & character encoding

From: Anne M. Price <priceam1_at_hoofer.ami.alcoa.com>
Date: 26 Oct 1994 15:18:46 GMT

 We are developing a PowerBuilder application against Oracle V7.0.16.  The users of this application will be from various countries, such  as Spain, Germany and the U.S. I am trying to get information about  issues to look at with character encoding and data conversions between  the server and the client. For instance:

  1. Are there things to watch out for when storing the data in the database in other than US7ASCII?
  2. What kind of performance hit might we experience if we store the data in US7ASCII and then the client is using WE8DEC, for example?

 I would like to talk with anyone who might be actively using this option  and various character sets. Please reply to me directly and I will  summarize for the net.

        Thanks in advance,

                Anne

Anne Price
Oracle DBA
Aluminum Co. of America
voice: (412) 553-3011
fax: (412) 553-3018
Internet: price_at_ssw.alcoa.com

       or price09.pitccn4_at_ssw.alcoa.com Received on Wed Oct 26 1994 - 16:18:46 CET

Original text of this message