Re: Oracle Data Corruption error message

From: <dhuet_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 94 17:24:47 EDT

In article <CyA8r2.6HA_at_skopen.dseg.ti.com>, <joel_at_skopen.dseg.ti.com> writes:
> One of my users is getting the following Oracle data corruption
> message:
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file # 24, block # 2)
> ORA-00600:
> internal error code, arguments: [3339], [0], [1610612738], [], [], []
>

> This sounds like some kind of a disk media surface defect. However,
> I don't see any messages being reported by the OS. We are planning on
> doing a complete dump, reformat, and restore of this disk. Is this
> the only way to solve this problem?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Joel

It indeed sounds like a media defect. If this is a Unix system (Sun?), then you may be able to dump the entire file system and restore it to a disk after formating. However, it has been my experience that the restore will still have the corrupted data block. The best solution is to restore your data from a backup (I hope you have archive loging on). Nevertheles, I would call Oracle support and give them the internal error code. Anytime you have an ORA-00600 you should record the argument numbers and contact Oracle support. Received on Wed Oct 26 1994 - 22:24:47 CET

Original text of this message