Re: primary keys and indexes

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 25 Oct 1994 21:28:02 -0400

In article <38ipst$5ht_at_raffles.technet.sg>, shchua_at_solomon.technet.sg (Chua Song Heng) writes:

If you define an enabled primary key constraint on a table in Oracle7 then Oracle7
will automatically create a unique index on the constrained columns. By default
this index will go into the same tablespace as the table. I prefer to create the
table, create a unique index in a separate tablespace, and then alter the table
adding a primary key constraint. This gives the DBA group more flexibility for
defraging, reloacating, etc... the table when the need arises.

Note - Oracle can not inforce a unique or primary key constraint without a unique
index. This makes sense if you stop to think about it. Oracle often has to do
things the same way we do; it just may not be obvious.

Since disclaimers are required - Read at your own risk! Received on Wed Oct 26 1994 - 02:28:02 CET

Original text of this message