Re: AIX/ORACLE - Raid devices + async I/O

From: Anton Dischner <dischner_at_med.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 17:07:24 +0100

In article <CxzsHK.ItE_at_world.std.com>, lparsons_at_world.std.com (Lee E Parsons) wrote:

Hi Lee,

Making one filesysytem is no bad idea but you have to keep in mind these facts:

In 3.2.5 max filesystem size is 2 GByte.
In 3.2.5 max filesize is 2 GByte.
In 4.1.1 max filesystem size is up to 64 GByte (using NBPI ratio 4096)
In 4.1.1 max filesize is 2 GBytes !

So maybe you will not gain anything.

Good luck, please post if you have interesting results.

Toni

> We are using AIX 3.2.5 and Oracle 7.0.16 and are currently looking at the
> I/O configuration. Couple of quick questions.
>
> 1) The Unix Gang wants to take our raid subsystem and create one filesystem
> across all five drives in the array replacing the 5 filesystems we have
> now. The only thing on this array is oracle datafiles so it sounds like
> a reasonable plan. Instead of having 5 FS's that are striped across
> 5 disks we'll have 1 FS across the same disks.
>
> All things being equal, can anybody think of a good reason not to do
> this?
>
> 2) The Oracle instalation manual make a big todo about the async_io kernel
> extentions. And setting the Oracle initializaion parameter to make use
> of async_io does seem to produce a real performance benefit. This was
> suprising to me since we are not using raw devices and I would have
> expected the FS code to already be asynchronous.
>
> Are not writes to the JFS already async and if so how does the async_io
> option increase performance of I/O?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Lee E. Parsons
> Systems Oracle DBA lparsons_at_world.std.com

| Anton Dischner, DBA and system-programmer    Phone: +49 89 70953202|
| Institut fuer Klinische Chemie               Fax  : +49 89 70958888|
| Klinikum Grosshadern                         Home : +49 89 6254060 |
| Ludwig Maximilians Universitaet Muenchen     Handy: +49 172 8388880|
| 81366 Muenchen                                                     |
| Marchioninistr. 15                                                 |
| Germany                          Mail: dischner_at_med.uni-muenchen.de|