Re: Oracle7 hot backups / table availability

From: Jgreene <jgreene_at_aol.com>
Date: 24 Oct 1994 20:04:06 -0400

  • Quoting Davide Gaetano to All dated 10-15-94 ***

> Also, does anyone have any information of backup/recover times
> for a ~20Gig database ? The platform will be a UNIX server, the
> specific server hardware has not yet been selected.

The real problem is the transaction volume that you would expect. We anticipate that our 150 GB database would take 2-3 days to recover since we have over 1 GB of transactions per day and have to use IBM 3480 tape cartridges. The recovery of the table data files (2 GB each for our data files) would take only an hour or so, however Oracle is a real stickler about seeing EVERY log written since the time of the backup. We have to sit there and retrieve a large number of archive logs, apply them, etc. For backup time reference, we do hot backups using 8mm tape on a 6-7 GB instance and it takes about 2 hours by the time we backup a copy of the control file, etc. Hope this helps. Received on Tue Oct 25 1994 - 01:04:06 CET

Original text of this message