Re: Quick Easy DOS/WIN Question

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 00:29:55 GMT

In article <37tjau$2u7_at_pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk> JENNINGSJ_at_SYNTEGRA.BT.CO.UK writes:
>In article <37kkd6$mf2_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>, holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu (Richard D Holowczak) writes:
>>ucdy_at_rvax.syntex.com () writes:
>>

>>>Here is a quick question. Is it possible to run Oracle v7.0.15.6 on a PC
>>>that is running DOS/Windows (non-NT)? If so, how much memory is required?
>>>How much memory is required to run SQL*Forms 4.0/4.5 as well?
>>
>> I know of no DOS or Windows version of Oracle 7.
>>
>> There will soon be a new version of Oracle "lite" that
>> will have most of the version 7 functionality in a single
>> user Windows system.
>>

>I saw something from Oracle a couple of months ago saying (with reference to
>PCs only) :
>
> All ORACLE 5 support withdrawn now.
>
> All ORACLE 6/DOS/Windows 3.1 support withdrawn soon - can't remember
> when, date may be absolute (in which case it's probably passed) or may
> be relative to release of Windows-"95" (in which case we're probably
> safe for a couple of years!).
>
> Only supported PC/ORACLE platforms will be on NT, OS/2 and
> Chicago/Windows-95.

Oracle is running an ad in DBMS magazine for a $199 "Special Introductory Upgrade Offer" which means you have to photocopy the cover of something you have (like Access), send your money in now, then wait till they ship it in the middle of December. Oracle 7.1 with PL/SQL, no development tools, single user only.

I hope this is better than the last time they did this... "Oh, if you want it to work you have to pay another $1200" or whatever it was. "Developer's Delight."
Hmph.

--
Joel Garry           joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com            Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.