ORACLEware/Novell Problems Still

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.fidonet.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 94 08:49:07 -0500

  • Quoting Doug Bitting to All dated 10-19-94 ***
    > Keep in mind that disk block size and system page size are two very
    > different things. I do not know anything about Novell's page sizes
    > since I don't know anything about Novell, but the DB_BLOCK_SIZE should
    > be the same size as your system page size (ie, one page of memory).
    > DB_BLOCK_SIZE often cannot be the same size as your disk block size
    > since disk partitions tend to be rather large these days.

With all due respect, anybody using a Novell server should IGNORE this completely.
Before Novell administrators go looking for system page size parameters that DO NOT EXIST, they (and you) should be aware that native Novell does not allocate memory in pages, but linearly.

They (any you) should also be aware that Novell is capable of allocating partitions with any block size they want, regardless of the size of the media (unlike many other platforms.)

Generally, on a Novell platform, it is best to set the block size equal to the database block size.

I would also like you (and many others) to please refrain from guesswork that at best is simply wrong, and at worst, misdirects people who are seeking solutions to genuine problems.

'Nuff said. Received on Sun Oct 23 1994 - 14:49:07 CET

Original text of this message