Still Having Novell Problems

From: DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM <(DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM)>
Date: 22 Oct 1994 20:51:21 -0000

So.....the hardware folks rebuilt Novell using 4K blocks to match DB_BLOCK_SIZE. They created volumes for me on separate devices and I spread the tablespaces as following:
SYS: Novell stuff
SYS1: SYSTEM tablespace, 40K
SYS1, SYS2, SYS3: striped FISERV tablepsace, 160M per device SYS2, SYS3: striped rollback tablespace, 160M per device SYS, SYS1: striped temporary tablespace, 160M per device

(Eventually there will be users and other data, so this is as balanced as I could get. I don't like to put data on system-related devices, but it couldn't be helped).

In addition to totally restructuring Novell, the data architecture, I cranked up DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS and SHARED_POOL_SIZE to 18MG; ZERO gain. I am convinced the ORACLE stucture and parameters have nothing to do with this slow performance. However, it is possible that 18MG seems a lot to me, but is that enough for ORACLEware??? Again, any ssuggestions are extremely welcome. So far, I have followed everyone's advice, e.g., upgrading to 7.0.16.6.5, unloading unnecessary NLMs, upgrading NLMs, and it has made the platform more stable, I am not crashing constantly, but I still cannot create a datafile greater than 50MG (and of course, no gain in performance).

Dagmar Anne Bogan

Kopania & Komorovski
Richardson, TX 75081

dagmara_at_delphi.com Received on Sat Oct 22 1994 - 21:51:21 CET

Original text of this message