Re: ODBC performance Vs. Oracle*Glue

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 04:41:11 GMT

In article <xw6XJUw.smith117_at_delphi.com>, <smith117_at_delphi.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I was just poking around on Compuserve, and I spotted a request for beta
>users of the VBX/Oracle product.
>
>It's probably too late to get on the beta program, but hopefully that means
>product will follow shortly.

 Correct, the beta site list closed on Sept 1.

>Also, the knock on ODBC is the network traffic per user. As the number of
>concurrent users grows, the network quickly becomes the performance
>bottleneck. That and you forfeit the advanced features of the target
>database.

If you're using VB(I assume), there are other considerations such as the MS JET engine. The VB/ODBC/JET combination does(from my experience) generate extra traffic, but I wouldn't say that that is it's only drawback. Try using synonyms/column aliases/views and other features normally used with and RDBMS....