SQL Standards [Summary]

From: Eoin Woods <Eoin_at_copse.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 08:45:08 +0000

Thanks to all those who replied to my request for SQL Standards information.

The summary of information is:

  1. There is quite a lot of information about SQL standards in the excellent FAQ from comp.databases.ingres, found at ftp.adc.com in /pub/ingres.
  2. The SQL-89 and SQL-86 standards are obsolete.
  3. The ISO/ANSI standard SQL is SQL-2. It is not available electronically but can be bought from ANSI in the US (call +1-212-642-4900) or from your national standards organisation (such as BSI in the UK) if they are ISO members. The ISO and ANSI SQL standards are identical apart from their presentation.
  4. The new standard SQL-3 is in draft form and copies are available from gatekeeper.dec.com in /pub/standards/sql
  5. The next release of INGRES is rumoured to contain SQL3 extensions. I don't know about the other databases.
  6. A good book on SQL that has SQL3 information as well is "The LAN Times Guide to SQL".

Many thanks to:

	Roy Hann	rhh_at_tachy.uah.ualberta.ca
	David F		dave_at_case50.ncsl.nist.gov
	Greg Philmon	philmon_at_netcom.com
	Tim Holmes	timh_at_dial.demon.co.uk

Eoin.

--
Eoin Woods, LBMS Plc, Evelyn House, 62 Oxford Street, London W1N 9LF, UK
            Tel: +44-71-636-4213  Email: Eoin_at_copse.demon.co.uk