Re: Restoration of temporary tablespace.

From: <rjen_at_rvax.syntex.com>
Date: 19 Oct 1994 18:57:54 GMT

In article <37uucp$2uu_at_toon.ctp.com>, pmuzu_at_ctp.com (Pavan Muzumdar) writes:
|>Hi all,
|>
|>Last week, someone inadvertently deleted the datafile that corresponds
|>to the temporary tablespace in our database. So far the database has not
|>really filled up with a lot of data and I don't believe that the tablespace
|>is being used in any operations. This is because the database is still running
|>and all sql statements are getting executed as expected.
|>
|>I know I can perform a media recovery using a backup of this tablespace, and
|>then apply the logs to make it up to date. But my question is as follows:
|>Since none of the data in the tablespace really needs to be consistent with the
|>rest of the tablespaces, can I just copy the datafile over and expect normal
|>operation from then on? I understand I might have to do this by protecting
|>the datafile by "offline" and "online" statements.

You can't just copy the datafile because Oracle will not like it that the file header information states that the file is inconsistent with the rest of the datafiles. Why not just drop the tablespace and recreate it using new files?

Jen

--
Jennifer Corliss is on an InterGalactic cruise...       |The opinions expressed
                                                        |above may not be those
   ...in her office                                     |of my employer.