Re: SQL*Star ???

From: Roderick Manalac <rmanalac_at_oracle.com>
Date: 19 Oct 1994 19:47:27 GMT

ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Doug Harris) writes:

|> In a previous article, rcontrer_at_toconao.usach.cl (Ricardo) says:
|>
|> >Do you have some references or descriptions about SQL*Star?????
|>
|> The name rings a bell but it has been a long time. Wasn't SQL*Star
|> Oracle's connectivity product for legacy mainframe databases back in the
|> Oracle 5.0 days?
|>
|> If so, the modern equivalents are called "Oracle Transparent Gateways"
|> and "Oracle Procedural Gateways". They provide tranparent data access
|> to DB2 IDMS VSAM and a bunch of other IBM mainframe DB formats from
|> Oracle.

Good thing I rarely throw out old class notes. From a March 1989 (was 1989 really that long ago?) presentation: + SQL*Star is an architecture, not a product + SQL*Star is Oracle's "open system, distributed, relational database   manager system architecture".
+ The SQL*Star architecture is implemented by three products:

  • Oracle: distributed RDBMS that supports distributed queries
  • SQL*Net: provides networking capabilities
  • SQL*Connect: a gateway to other DBMS's

I guess in 1994, Oracle refers to this as the Cooperative Server Environment consisting of

  • Oracle7: distributed RDBMS supporting distributed queries and updates
  • SQL*Net: networking capabilities
  • Transparent Gateways: gateways to non-Oracle data sources
  • Other stuff ...

Roderick Manalac
Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Oct 19 1994 - 20:47:27 CET

Original text of this message