Re: Oracle for Windows

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 23:15:03 GMT

In a previous article, lmayhew_at_aol.com (LMayhew) says:

>I recently read in some publication where Oracle is beta testing with
>a version of Oracle V7.0 for Windows 3.1. Does anybody know anything
>about this?

   I saw it being used by a few Oracle folks at IOUW as the underlying DB on which they were demonstrating some of the new CDE2 tools (Procedure Builder was one I think).

   It is still BETA and true to form crashed during this particular demo. My understanding is:

  1. It is a full blown implementation of Oracle7 (indeed I beleive 7.1) implemented using the WIN32S environment. Besically there is no SQL*Net listener so that it can not be used as a server.
  2. It is not a "light" or "stripped down" version of the RDBMS. Memory requirements are accordingly high. If you are doing CDE development (16 meg) then the RDBMS will need another 8 at least.
  3. I read today in PC Week (Oct 3 issue) that they hope to ship in November.
    • Doug --
    • Doug Harris Database Administrator, System Development Division, Statistics Canada. ## WHERE ALL_OPINIONS.OWNER = USER ##