record locking

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.fido.chi.il.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 94 09:58:48 -0500

  • Quoting Lim002_at_Wcsub.Ctstateu.Edu to All dated 10-18-94 ***
    > I have written an application using an ODBC connection to Oracle7. It
    > is a simple application which I am using to try to understand how
    > Oracle7 takes care of record-locking.
    > Why is my 2nd instance sort of "freezing" up? What is Oracle doing?

The Oracle database is doing what the application and the ODBC driver are telling it to, nothing more.

What the application and ODBC driver are apparently telling the database to do is acquire a lock on the record in question, and wait until a lock is available.  Therefore, if one instance has already acquired a lock on the record, the second instance must simply wait.

It does not have to be this way, as a look at a non-ODBC application will demonstrate. Many applications/implementations do not ask for a record lock until they are ready to post changes to the database; some (such as Forms 4.0) may be configured by the programmer. Received on Tue Oct 18 1994 - 15:58:48 CET

Original text of this message