Re: Backing up on raw devices

From: BARRY ROOMBERG <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 94 09:24:00 -0400

-> Also, I am doing an export on my database as an alternative backup.
-> However, this file has grown to over 2Gbytes. I heard that there is a
-> limitation on the file size on UNIX file systems. Any file over 2
-> Gbytes will be corrupted.

Unix verson specific. Check with DG support.

->
-> Also, Oracle suggests not to compress an
-> export file when it is backed up to the tape because it might be
-> corrupted when it gets uncompressed. Please write to me if you have
-> any recommendations.

It's a crock. If your compression works, it works. A file is a file. The biggest problem I have with compression is the time it takes. If you don't have it built into your tape drive, the Unix compression schemes take about 4 times as long as just cutting to tape. In this case I suggest a larger tape, ie: TurboDAT or Exabyte. Received on Tue Oct 18 1994 - 14:24:00 CET

Original text of this message