Re: Slow Performance Running Oracleware/Novell

From: Philip Chee <philip_at_aleytys.pc.my>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 94 09:39:08 GMT

In article <37q56j$ov0_at_news.delphi.com> dagmara_at_news.delphi.com writes:

>I just helped a client install Oracleware running V7.0.15 RDBMS on Novell
>3.12. The performance is sludge. My questions:

A Novell file server is very memory intensive. So is Oracle7 running on any platform. Check with your Oracleware VAR that you have enough memory for BOTH.

>3. I am accustomed to being able to specify where to place data files (e.g.
> UNIX); my understanding of Novell is that Novell sees all the
>devices as one big volume. Should I continue to allow Novell to do this,
>or is there a way to bypass the Novell operating system?

Novell's setup/install is quite flexible. You can put one volume on one hard disk, on part of a hard disk, on several hard disks, on several parts of several hard disks. You can have lots of volumes in any of the above combinations. RTFM. Be careful that you really know what you are doing. You can't reverse your decisions without reinstalling Novell.

>4. I suspect double-buffering may be occuring: anyway to get get around
>this?

The "DIRECTFS.NLM" Netware Loadable Module should be included with your Oracleware. This allows you to bypass Novell's caching for processes (such as Oracle7) that do their own caching/buffering. I think there is at least one update/patchfix at ftp.novell.com

>5. This is going to sound strange but....how do I know if we are running
>SQL*Net? I got into a very heated arguement about this (and may be
>wrong), but I thought that SQL*Net required some protocol, e.g. Novell or
>TCP/IP to run. The other ORACLE guru says no, we are not running
>SQL*Net, because we have Novell. Some clarification please.

As I understand it SQL*Net is a higher layer protocol that runs over whatever network protocol you are using. So if you are on Novell you would have bought SQL*Net for IPX (Netware's transport protocol). For Unix it would be the TCP/IP version.

p.s. I'm a clueless newbie when it comes to Oracle, but I'm much better on Netware (If you believe that...)

Philip

--
|Philip Chee: philip_at_aleytys.pc.my| This is a work of fiction.Any resemblance |